Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Cosmo Vitelli owns the Crazy Horse West, a strip joint in California. He's laconic, a Korean War vet, and a gambler. When we meet him, he's making his last payment on a gambling debt. Then, he promptly loses $23,000 playing poker at an illegal local casino. The guys he owes this time aren't so friendly, pressuring him for immediate payment. Then they suggest that he kill a Chinese bookie to wipe off the debt.
Vitelli and the film move back and forth between the double-crossing, murderous insincerity of the gamblers and the friendships, sweetness, and even love among Vitelli, the dancers, a dancer's mother, and the club's singer, Mr. Sophistication.
- HOPSCOTCH Walter Matthau Glenda Jackson
- HOUSE ACROSS THE BAY George Raft Joan Bennett
- I MARRIED A WITCH Frederic March Veronica Lake
- I MET MY LOVE AGAIN Henry Fonda Joan Bennett
- KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE Ben Gazzara Seymour Cassel
- LONG VOYAGE HOME John Wayne Thomas Mitchell
- LOST HONOR OF KATHRYN BECK Marlo Thomas Kris Kristofferson
- LUCKIEST MAN IN THE WORLD Doris Belack Philip Bosco
- MIKEY & NICKY Peter Falk John Cassavetes
- MIXED BLOOD Marila Pera Richard Ulacia